The purpose of the course is to equip clinicians and other direct service professionals, with the skills to promote a positive therapeutic experience for transgender and gender non-conforming individuals. Participants will explore critical issues facing this population and gain knowledge to facilitate inclusivity within their respective scope of work.
Date: Thursday, August 27th, 2020
- 10:45am-11:00am (log-in/registration)
- Training 11:00am-2:15pm (Eastern)
Format: Live, webinar
Location: Zoom (online meeting platform)
Content Level: Beginner
- Identify key issues facing transgender and gender non-conforming people.
- Describe how to integrate into practice gender affirming language that promotes resilience and belonging.
- Identify biases and prejudices that interfere with ethical practice and therapeutic engagement with clients.
- Identify terminology and trans specific concepts that promote inclusivity within your practice.
- Describe the complexities of identity and gender from the lens of people with lived experiences.
Who should attend: This workshop is appropriate for all social workers, clinicians and other behavioral health providers in direct service, supervisory and leadership roles within their relative field of practice.
Course interaction & system requirements
This live webinar is fully interactive. Attendees may ask and answer questions throughout the presentation and participate in instructor-led discussions.
Recommended systems for connection:
- Operating Systems: Windows XP or higher, MacOS 9 or higher, Android 4.0 or higher
- Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Google Chrome, Firefox 10.0 or higher
- Broadband Internet connection: Cable, High-speed DSL & any other medium that is internet accessible.
Course Completion & Continuing Education
Course completion requirements: To earn CE credit, social workers must log in at the scheduled time, attend the entire training and complete an online course evaluation. Certificates of completion will be emailed within 10 business days of course completion.
Complex Systems Innovations, #1738, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Complex Systems Innovations maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 03/13/2020 – 03/13/2021. Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 continuing education credits.
Accommodations, Requests, & Complaints/Grievances
Please send special requests or accommodations by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To file a complaint or grievance, please contact our office directly at 727.858.3335. A copy of Complex Systems Innovations’ grievance policy is readily available upon request and will give participants step-by-step instructions for filing a grievance.
About the Instructors:
RK McGinnis, LCSW (they/them) is a therapist with children, teens, and young adults at Sunshine Child and Family Counseling in Alpharetta, Georgia. Over half of their clients are LGBTQ+. They also have significant experience with ADHD, anxiety, depression, trauma, foster care, and adoption.
Frankie Love is a speaker, volunteer, and activist, promoting a continuous transparent presence to help gender non-conforming folks and allys be inspired and educated.